EARLY VICTORIAN HAIRSTYLE


Classic Victorian Women Style

In today's lesson we looked at classic early Victorian hairstyles for women. When looking at images of the basic Victorian styles that most women would have used - I noticed a lot of them followed the same routines and featured similar methods. Alot of the early styles presented tight curls, plaits and buns. Most of the looks were styled around a certain bonnet or hat that the women may have wanted to wear but in other cases, would have followed simple routines for everyday wear. 

In class we were looking at a classic hairstyle that was worn by many women in portraits in the early Victorian era. We set out to re-create this look.






The first thing I did to create this look was brush out the hair and create a straight middle parting. Then I sectioned out the hair using the pintail comb and creating a parting from behind one of the ears round to the other back of the ear - I followed this by tying up the separated sections so they didn't reconnect with each other. Once I had all the sections apart and pinned up, I started to create the knot at the back of the head. I firstly tied up the hair tightly in a ponytail in the middle of the head, followed by plaiting the ponytail. I then curled the braid around the hair band and pinned the plait into place creating a bun or knot. I made sure the hair was tightly pulled into the bun during the time I was creating it. Then I started on the side sections. Starting on one side, I brushed the hair with a comb, in the direction just in front of the ear and the plaited the section. I plaited the section round the ear and pinned it underneath the knot at the back of the head. Once I did this step on the other side of the head I realised that the back of the head looked messy and the plaits at the side didn't match the Victorian style. I un-pinned the plaits and re-did them and then pulled them underneath the ear and pinned them on top of the knot instead. This made the hairstyle much tidier and so you couldn't see any of the pins holding the design in place.


No comments:

Post a Comment